corner

Where in the Valley - Dan & Whit's, Norwich

Welcome to ValleyNet : Where in the Valley...? : Where in the Valley - Dan & Whit's, Norwich

Here is the answer for Where in the Valley...? for March 19 to March 22, 2001

Dan & Whit's, Norwich
Photograph: Bob Raiselis

Pretty much every entrant knew that this was Dan & Whit's in Norwich.

From the very excellent Connecticut River Historic Sites Database at http://www.valley.net/~connriver...

Dan & Whit's, west side of Main Street, c.1840 with substantial c.1950 alterations.

...back from Main Street, the older section is that to the north and consists of a two story structure set broadside to the street with an exterior that is clapboarded except for the north brick side. The building is capped by a standing seam metal roof with projecting eaves and rests on a mortared stone foundation. The first floor of the facade has been built out and is now filled with large plate glass windows with panels below. A plastic awning and plastic letters identify this as "Dan & Whits". Above the first floor, six earlier window openings survive. While those on the end are blind, the other four contain 2/2 windows. Historic signs reading "Dry Goods & Groceries" and "1895 1926 A.H. Merrill" decorate the facade as do an old c.1940 clock and an old Texaco Gasoline Motor Oil sign...

Arthur Merrill owned the general store in Norwich that is now Dan & Whit's.

The first several correct guesses were submitted by Kyle Smith, Kelly C. Griggs, Susan Brown, Ray Buskey, Gabrielle Otto, and Louise Tyson, who reminds us that "...if they don't have it you don't need it!"

Dan & Whit's, Norwich